First phase of project to turn Jalan Oya into dual carriageway to begin soon

Seen are Dr Sim (third left) and Tiang (fourth left) at the briefing.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


By William Isau

SIBU, Jan 9: Jalan Oya here will be upgraded into a dual carriageway to facilitate smoother traffic flow.

Deputy Chief Minister Dato Sri Dr Sim Kui Hian in stating this yesterday during a briefing at the Sibu Municipal Council office said Phase 1 of the project costing RM22.8 million and involving a road stretch measuring 1.5km is expected to start soon.


The Public Health, Housing and Local Government minister named the Land and Survey Department as the implementing agency

Phase 1 of the project will take 24 months to complete, and has been awarded to a contractor.

The project, Dr Sim said, is just one of many which the Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS) government will undertake after winning the 12th State Election.

“This is one of the first projects that I am very pleased is happening in Pelawan. This shows GPS’ commitment to our manifesto. We will try our best to ensure that Sibu after so many years of “tengok sahaja” (bystander) is going to share the same GPS benefits (sic) as much as we can,” he said.

Pelawan assemblyman Michael Tiang who is also Dr Sim’s Assistant Minister II, who was also present, said he would try to lobby for RM40 million for Phase 2 of the project.

Meanwhile, Tiang urged the public to stop speculating on the mass deaths of pigs in Durin and Bintangor last month.

He said these speculations had affected the business of pork sellers.

“Some of the irresponsible press statements made by certain parties have caused this market to have unnecessary worries and they are already negatively affecting the market,” he said.

He added that the analysis and report on the mass deaths conducted by the Veterinary Department is not ready yet.

“I just want to urge the people not to make any comment on this matter before the final report is released by the veterinary department. But I have been briefed by the relevant department this afternoon that the pork that we consume is safe,” he said.

Tiang said the report is expected to be out next week. — DayakDaily