Landowner seeks suitable compensation for land use by power utility co

Yap (in yellow shirt) and Tan at the site of the tower base for the transmission tower.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.

KUCHING, Nov 25: A landowner here wants adequate compensation based on the current market value of his land, from a power utility company who had used his land as a transmission tower site.

According to Sarawak United Peoples’ Party (SUPP) Public Complaints Bureau (SUPP PCB) chief, Wilfred Yap, the Federal Constitution provides that ‘no person shall be deprived of property save in accordance with law,’, and ‘no law shall provide for the compulsory acquisition or use of the property without adequate compensation’.

Yap who is a lawyer by profession said that it is therefore imperative for landowners to understand their rights to ensure that these rights are protected and adequately compensated in the event of compulsory acquisition.

“In Sarawak, Section 60 of the Sarawak Land Code (Cap.81) specifies the matters to be considered in determining the amount of compensation to be awarded for land compensation,” he explained in a statement.

Yap revealed he was recently approached by a landowner surnamed Tan from Matang, who requested for his assistance to appeal to a power utility company for adequate compensation after it erected a tower base for a transmission tower on his land.

“He (Tan) informed SUPP PCB that the power utility company had previously offered to pay him a sum of RM2,140 as compensation but in August 2015, he rejected the proposed compensation as he felt that it was not adequate.

Tan has not received any further response from the power utility company after his rejection of their proposed compensation.

“SUPP PCB has written an appeal on Tan’s behalf for the power utility company to look into his predicament and for their consideration of adequate compensation which reflects the market value of his land used by the power utility company as a tower base for a transmission tower.

According to Yap, SUPP PCB understands the landowner’s predicament and will try its best to mediate between the parties for a win-win situation.

“We will continue to follow up on and monitor the situation until an amicable conclusion to the satisfaction of all affected parties is agreed upon,” he disclosed.

Anyone requiring help can always call SUPP Public Complaint’s mobile number at 016-7797688 or 082-246999 or go directly to the SUPP Head Office here for assistance. — DayakDaily