Former student sent back to Henry Gurney School for threatening to burn father’s house over RM100

The court complex in Kuching.

This Content Is Only For Subscribers

Please subscribe to unlock this content. Enter your email address and full name to get access. It's FREE!
Your email address is 100% safe from spam!

By Dorcas Ting

KUCHING, Sept 18: The Magistrate’s Court here ordered a former Henry Gurney School student to return to the said school until the age of 21 after he pleaded guilty to making criminal threats to burn his father’s house over a dispute involving RM100.

Magistrate Mason Jaro Lenya Barayan issued the directive following a social report hearing conducted by the Social Welfare Department.

According to the charge sheet, the 20-year-old accused deliberately issued criminally threating words through a phone call to his 54-year-old father, stating his intent to set their house at Jalan Lapangan Terbang ablaze at about 9am on August 7.

Consequently, he was charged under Section 506 of the Penal Code, which carries a maximum penalty of up to 7 years’ imprisonment, a fine, or both, upon conviction.

Based on the facts of the case, during the incident, the complainant received a call from his son (the accused) requesting RM100. The accused threatened to burn the house if the money was not provided.

The complainant hurriedly returned home and found that petrol had been poured in the living room, believed to have been done by the accused. Concerned for the safety of his family, the complainant promptly filed a police report for further action, leading to the arrest of the accused on the same day.

Investigations revealed that the accused had caused trauma and fear to the complainant by menacingly threatening to set his house on fire.

It is understood that the accused had requested the money to purchase drugs online.

Furthermore, in 2017, he had previously been sent to Henry Gurney School due to involvement in drug abuse activities.

Appearing for the prosecution was Inspector Merylene Lindan Andrew Mang, while the accused was not represented by legal counsel. — DayakDaily