187 households benefit from connection charges subsidy

File photo of Sarawak Energy transmission structure.

KUCHING, July 19: Connection charges subsidy for low income urban homeowners which was implemented by the state government effective January 1 this year has benefited some 187 households.

Sarawak Energy Berhad (Sarawak Energy) said, in a statement today, that out of these households, 162 enjoyed free connection while the rest had their charges of between RM5,000 to RM10,000 discounted by 70 per cent.

It revealed a total of RM8 million was allocated by the state government for the connection charges subsidy programme in 2020 and almost 200 households were qualified for the subsidy with a cumulative RM600,000 since the beginning of the year.

“Connection charges is the amount to be paid by a customer who requires a new electricity connection to a new house.

“The charges normally include per house fee, installation and material costs, capacity charges and meter fees where applicable.


“These charges do not include internal wiring works which is to be undertaken and borne by the homeowner themselves,” Sarawak Energy explained.

Meanwhile, Minister of Utilities Datuk Seri Dr Stephen Rundi Utom noted the aim of the subsidy is to alleviate the financial burden of new homeowners to meet the cost of connecting electricity from the main power lines to their homes.

“Under this package, electricity connection fees amounting to RM5,000 and below will be completely absorbed by the state government.

“For connection fees ranging from RM5,000 to RM10,000, the state government will subsidise 70 per cent of the cost and customers only need to pay the remaining 30 per cent,” he said.

On this issue, Sarawak Energy Group chief executive officer Datuk Sharbini Suhaili urged new homeowners who had inquiries on eligibility requirements for the subsidy to approach Sarawak Energy or its retail team directly to avoid any misinformation.

“This is also to ensure electricity connection from the main power lines to your homes is done safely by competent Sarawak Energy personnel or registered contractors,” he explained. —DayakDaily