Works Minister announces Phase 1 of Sarawak Pan Borneo Highway to be fully opened in Q2 2024

Dato Sri Alexander Nanta Linggi (file photo)

By DayakDaily Team

KUCHING, April 9: Federal Works Minister Dato Sri Alexander Nanta Linggi has announced that Phase 1 of the Sarawak Pan Borneo Highway (LPB) project is set to be fully opened in the second quarter of 2024.

According to national news agency Bernama, Nanta said that so far, work progress had reached 99 per cent.


“Phase 1 of the Sarawak LPB is expected to be fully opened in the second quarter of this year, except for the Lambir section (under work package 11) in Miri, which needs to be redesigned and it is expected to be ready in 2026,” he was quoted as saying in the news report.

Bernama reported that Nanta made the remarks in a press statement issued today.

Phase 1 of the Sarawak LPB involves a total distance of 706 km from Telok Melano to Miri.

In other developments, the Works Minister mentioned that a meeting took place between his ministry and the Sarawak Public Works Department yesterday (April 8).

The meeting focused on addressing concerns regarding the maintenance of State and Federal roads in Sarawak, particularly those related to the ‘red-line’ alignment.

Nanta explained that the term ‘redline’ refers to the existing original routes built prior to the construction of the LPB.

“In Sarawak, the redline alignment involves the areas of Kuching, Serian, Sibu, Bintulu, Julau, and Miri. The standard of these redline routes, built previously, differs from the LPB and the quality of these redline routes needs to be upgraded.

“Phase 1 of the Sarawak LPB involves a distance of 786 km, but there are road alignments of 136.7 km that were not included in the LPB’s construction and are now in poor condition. Several solution models were proposed at the meeting, and all these proposals will be studied in detail,” he said. — DayakDaily