KUCHING, Jan 27: A 59-year-old man from Batu Kawa-Matang road has become the seventh victim of rabies since the outbreak was detected in the state in June last year.
The state Health Department (JKNS) said a laboratory test dated Jan 26 confirmed that the man has contracted the virus.
Health Ministry director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said investigations revealed that the victim was bitten by a dog on Nov 27, 2017.
“He sought medical treatment at a private clinic on the same day, but was not referred to government health facilities for vaccination.
“On Jan 20, the victim became ill and was later admitted to a private hospital on Jan 24.
“However, the victim was referred and transferred to Sarawak General Hospital (SGH) for further treatment the next day after showing symptoms of hydrophobia, hallucinations and aggression,” he said in a statement today.
Noor Hisham said since June 30 last year, seven cases of rabies in humans have been reported in the state.
Five people including four children have died from rabies and two others including the man are currently admitted in SGH.
Meanwhile, 28 areas from five districts namely Kuching, Serian, Samarahan, Sri Aman and Sarikei are still categorised as positive for rabies. — DayakDaily