Percentage of workforce in private sectors during MCO revised to only 30 pct

Infographic on the latest SOPs during the current MCO in Sarawak from May 29 to June 11, 2021.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


By Ling Hui

KUCHING, May 28: Only 30 per cent of the total workforce is allowed to operate in the private sector at any one time during the Movement Control Order (MCO) period in Sarawak from May 29 to June 11.

For public sector except for frontliners, only 20 per cent of the entire workforce is permitted to be in offices while the remaining 80 per cent must work from home.


Physical meetings are not allowed except for government departments and relevant agencies for official duties. The private sectors are encouraged to conduct virtual meetings instead.

Seminars, workshops, trainings, conferences and talks are not allowed to be organised, except for ongoing in-service training within training institutions only.

Corporate events and MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions) are also not allowed throughout the MCO.

One of the essential services allowed during the MCO is the retail industry, which includes the operation of supermarkets (food and essential items sections), restaurants, eateries, bistros, cafes and food stalls (only drive-thru, take-away and delivery services), wet markets, health facilities, stores selling hardware, electric and electronic appliances, pet food, health and safety equipment, agricultural products, and those providing automotive sales, maintenance and repair, packaging and printing services.

As per latest MCO standard operating procedures (SOP), other operations that are allowed during this period are the running of prisons, temporary detention centres, immigration depot, lockups, factories or companies supplying food, fuels and lubricants, and those under the solid waste and sewage management.

Those providing electric and power, governmental and public service, flight and port, telecommunication, broadcasting and information, judicial and legal, banking and financial, postal, courier and logistics, e-hailing, food delivery, land, sea and air services also get green lights by the authorities to operate.

Meanwhile, the security, defense, manufacturing, producing, ship building and repairing, logging and timber, fishery, agricultural and plantation, construction and renovation, accomodation and hospitality industries are also among the categories allowed to operate during the MCO.

Note that the operating hours for all allowed sectors and industries are limited to 6am to 8pm only, while a night curfew from 10pm to 5am will be enforced. — DayakDaily