Parents of murdered student in Taiwan seek justice

The victim Irene Chung

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.

SIBU, Nov 1: The parents of Irene Chung want justice be served on the suspect who allegedly killed her.

Chung, 24, a business management student at Chang Jung Christian University in Tainan, Taiwan, was found dead on Friday (Oct 30).

CNA reported that she had been missing since Wednesday (Oct 28). An initial police investigation determined that Chung had been abducted.

A man, who was arrested in Kaohsiung, Taiwan late Thursday (Oct 29) in connection with the case, confessed to the murder.

The suspect confessed to strangling Chung to death and dumping her body in the mountains of Kaohsiung, CNA revealed, quoting the Tainan police.

Based on the evidence gathered so far, it is believed that the suspect abducted the victim sometime after 8pm on Oct 28, which was the last time she was seen alive.

Chung was a former student of Methodist Pilley Institute here. She completed her three-year diploma course in Business Management before continuing her studies at Chang Jung Christian University in Tainan.

The family’s lawyer, Yap Hoi Liong today called on the Taiwan prosecution team and leaders of the island country to conduct a thorough investigation into her death in a transparent manner without compromising justice.

“Our people and the victim’s family place high hope on the prosecution and the judiciary of Taiwan to resolve the case and to sentence the suspect appropriately. We do recognise the judiciary system of Taiwan. The justice for murder can be done under Article 226-1 of the Penal Code of Taiwan Criminal Code. In Malaysia, a death sentence is commuted under Section 302 of the Penal Code,” Yap revealed.

He also called on the Malaysian government and the Foreign Affairs Ministry to look into the case.

“So far the governments of both countries have been very helpful to the family. The immigration department and the Foreign Affairs office of both countries facilitated the travel arrangement for the parents to go to Taiwan,” he added.

Yap disclosed a post mortem on the body had been completed and the results would be known tomorrow.

“Her parents flew to Taipei on a 2.15pm flight today. They will be there for a few days to do the necessary arrangements including bringing back the ashes of their daughter,” he added. — DayakDaily