This Content Is Only For Subscribers
SIBU, Aug 15: Traffic congestion along Jalan Ulu Sungai Merah will be a thing of the past once the road is turned into a dual-carriageway, says Deputy Minister of Public Health, Housing and Local Government Michael Tiang.
“The upgrading work on the road measuring 2.2km will start soon as the tender for the project will be called next month (September),” Tiang said after speaking to reporters after officiating the street-lighting ceremony near Taman Muhibbah food court last night.
He said the budget for the project is set at RM45 million, and has already been approved under the 12th Malaysian Plan Midterm review.
The Pelawan assemblyman said that this State funded project should have commenced last year,however, due to certain circumstances the upgrading work was put aside.
“The most work required (in the upgrading project) is to shift away the utilities (to make way) for the road expansion because I did mention the delay and the public thought that it is cancelled, which it is not.
“We also want to revise the original budget from RM38 million now to RM45 million,” he stressed.
He added the upgrading work is expected to be completed in two years’ time.
On the light decoration project, Tiang said that the project with a total cost of RM6,000 was funded under his Minor Rural Project (MRP).
He said that it is one of their efforts to beautify the Pelawan constituency.
“The spirit of a new Pelawan is not only improving the existing infrastructure but also improve the experience of the people living here,” he stressed.
Also present was Sibu Municipal Council (SMC) chairman Clarence Ting Ing Horh. — DayakDaily