Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.
By DD Team
KUCHING, Nov 20: The state government has strengthened its law regarding membership of Sarawak State Legislative Assembly (DUN) with the passing of the Constitution of State of Sarawak (Amendment) Bill, 2020 in the last DUN sitting.
However, after the passing of the bill, the opposition has come up with the ‘Leila and Putri’ story which seemingly tried to undermine the effectiveness of the bill.
Having in mind to clarify the true intention of the bill, Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah came forward to enlighten further the real spirit and intent of the bill which according to him is to ensure the exclusiveness of the DUN members only to those with Sarawak ancestral roots among other requirements.
Senior lawyer Shankar Ram Asnani who was also invited to explain the legal aspects of the bill concurred with Abdul Karim by saying that in any law, it must be read and interpreted holistically, and not to be misread which could cause confusion.
Among the intriguing topics discussed during the ‘Spot On’ session are:
- Adding the term ‘Sarawakian’ into the amendment of Sarawak Constitution contravenes the Federal Constitution
- Challenges to the Sarawak Constitution Amendment Bill, 2020 can only be judged in the court though the bill is already ‘airtight’
- Shankar: Ancestral roots have to be taken into consideration in the ‘Leila and Putri’ story
- Amendment to the Sarawak Constitution is fair to all Sarawakians with Sarawak connections and the ancestral roots
- Only true Sarawakians get to decide the fate and future of Sarawak
- Objections to Sarawak Constitution Amendment Bill suggests motive to let non-Sarawakians to become Sarawak ADUN
- Malaya-based DAP and local-based PSB stand united in opposing the amendment of Sarawak Constitution bill
- Abdul Karim hopes to see the amendment bill be gazetted before Sarawak 12th State Election (PRN12)
‘Spot On’ is expected to be aired regularly, so stay tuned to Dayakdaily.com for more.—DayakDaily