History of 120yo Red Bridge at Kg Seropak finally uncovered

Larsen (second left) receives a memento from Yong (centre) after the former's talk on the 120-year-old steel suspension Red Bridge at Kampung Seropak, Bau at Telang Usan Hotel today (Oct 22, 2023).

By Wilfred Pilo

KUCHING, Oct 22: The history of the mythical 120-year-old steel suspension Red Bridge at Kampung Seropak in Bau was finally uncovered and revealed by Ib Larsen, a researcher at Roskilde University Denmark, during his talk on the subject at Telang Usan Hotel here today.

Larsen said after 20 years of research work on the bridge’s existence, he discovered that the Red Bridge is a Harper bridge designed by Louis Harper and manufactured by Harpers Limited, Aberdeen, Scotland.


“The bridge has all the characteristics of Harper’s bridge and was built, in 1904 to improve the access to two rubber estates, Puak and Dahan, along the Tegora Road,” he shared.

Larsen further disclosed that the bridge was constructed as a substitute for a previous bridge at the same site as part of the access road to the Tegora mercury mine in Bau.

“The bridge was renovated by the Japanese during the Second World War, to enable the mining of the Tegora Mine,” he added.

Larsen is also a former advisor to the Natural Resources and Environment Board, Sarawak, Ministry of Housing and Local Government, Federal Government from 1999 to 2012. The talk was organised by the Sarawak Heritage Society (SHS).

MTCP Principal Assistant Secretary of the Arts, Culture and Heritage section, Dr Elena Gregoria Chai Chin Fern and SHS Vice President Donna Yong Siaw Wah were among those present. — DayakDaily