Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.
KUCHING, Jan 2: With investigations into the recent road fatality at the Padang Merdeka flood mitigation project site are still ongoing, Kuching North City Commission (DBKU) Datuk Bandar Datuk Abang Abdul Wahap Abang Julai warns errant contractors that any of them found to have breach any safety standards set by the Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) will face the music.
Responding to reporters’ questions on the progress of the investigation, he said the contractor responsible for the project has been slapped with a stop work order by DOSH since the accident which resulted in the death of 29-year-old Dina Dzulkarnain Asan.
Dina, son of a photojournalist, was believed to have drowned after the motorcycle he was riding plunged into a one-metre deep flooded ditch at the flood mitigation project construction site at Padang Merdeka here.
Abang Abdul Wahap added that the contractor should have been more responsible in implmenting safety measures at public areas and roads as upon their appointment, the contractor signed an agreement to adhere to the terms and conditions before the site was handed over to them to begin the project.
“Since the accident, we see that the safety measures on the site had been rectified. An inspection by DOSH is scheduled today to check if it would be sufficient. If the inspection is passed, only then work can continue.
“When we appointed the contractor and they signed the agreement, that area was handed over to them according to the contract and terms and conditions. We only monitor and advise them, while working closely with DOSH,” he said.
Asked on what would be the course of action taken against the contractor if found guilty, Abang Abdul Wahap said he would not speculate as the investigation was still ongoing.
“Let the relevant authorities investigate, and whoever found guilty would have to face the music,” he added.
The current phase two of the flood mitigation project for Zone 15 Main Bazaar (excavation works near St Thomas Cathedral), costing RM1.1 million was supposed to be completed in October 2017. Due to the delay, the contractor was slapped with a Liquidated Ascertained Damages (LAD).
The project began in March 2017. — DayakDaily