Coronavirus Update: S’wak to deny entry to those who have visited China in the last 14 days

State Disaster Management Committee's statement released at 2pm today.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


By Karen Bong

KUCHING, Feb 1: Sarawak will temporarily deny entry to all Chinese nationals and foreigners who have visited China in the past 14 days with immediate effect until further notice in an attempt to contain the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus.

The State Disaster Management Committee, in the latest statement today, however said exception would be given to those with Employment Passes, Student Passes or Long Social Passes, although they must undergo compulsory self-quarantine at home for 14 days.

“Sarawakians returning from China in the last 14 days must also undergo compulsory self-quarantine at home for 14 days.”

Chinese nationals who are already in Sarawak have been advised to report to the Chinese Consulate of their whereabouts and place of stay in Sarawak.

The committee emphasised that these actions were taken as part of the Sarawak government’s efforts and measures to mitigate the spread of the deadly coronavirus in Sarawak.

On Jan 29, Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said that Sarawak was still free from the virus as six of the eight suspected cases had tested negative.

The two other cases, one each from Kuching and Miri, were still waiting for lab test results.

The eight cases, four women and four men aged between 20 and 50 years old, previously visited China.

Other measures taken included purchasing Rapid Blood Test Kits (RBTK) to allow testing locally as well as thermal scanners for Sibu and Bintulu airports, and requiring all passengers arriving in Sarawak to fill self-declaration forms. —DayakDaily