KUCHING, Sept 25: Works Minister Baru Bian has expressed shock over alleged corruption charges brought against his political secretary who is vying for a top Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) post in the latter’s home state of Pahang.
“If such report is true and had been lodged to the Malaysia Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) as reported, I wish to state that I welcome any investigation to be made by the relevant authority and to be made thoroughly and immediately as it has implicated my ministry.
“For me, such action if it’s true, cannot be tolerated at all. (It is) especially so, when we have fought so hard against such a corrupt practice. The process of law must take its course,” Baru said in a press statement issued here today.
Baru who just returned from an official trip overseas, said he was confronted with the report allegedly lodged by one Ahmad Syukri Che Ab Razab with the MACC on Sept 25 against Zakaria Abdul Hamid, a political secretary in his ministry purporting to have abused his position as a public servant by promising contracts for developing or repairing infrastructure worth RM20,000 to each local leader who was present.
Zakaria was also reported to have made an allocation amounting to at least RM300,000 during a meeting with local leaders on September 1, 2018 in Pahang where Zakaria is known to be vying for the Ketua Cabang (branch chief) post for PKR Bera and a seat on the PKR central committee. — DayakDaily