Baru tells Petronas to buck up after third Sabah-Sarawak pipeline leak

Baru Bian

KUCHING, May 10: Works Minister Baru Bian takes a swipe at national oil company Petronas for not being thorough enough with its safety measures and monitoring process on its Sabah-Sarawak Pipeline (PSSP) following a third leakage at Long Segaman, Lawas on May 8.

The last leak happened in January last year near Long Lupin, Lawas.

“I am shocked and deeply concerned about the latest report of a third leakage along the PSSP, which occurred at Long Segaman, Lawas. Thank God there were no casualties.

“This incident will cause more uneasiness and concern for many of us who live in close proximity with the said PSSP.

“In the last briefing given by Petronas after the second incident at Long Luping, I was made to understand that stringent procedures were established to ensure such leakages could be detected in advance.

“Now it looks like these safety measures or the monitoring process are not effective and functioning,” Baru said in a statement yesterday.

He urge the relevant bodies to do a thorough investigation and that he be briefed of the same as soon as possible.

The leak, which was noticed around 1.37am on May 8, caught fire.

The line was shut off and the fire contained by the Lawas Fire and Rescue Department.

No injuries or casualties were reported. — DayakDaily