Work on Tchee’s dream house delayed, but he remains `grateful’

Tchee casually expresses his views while sitting in the dining area of his dilapidated wooden house.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.

By Karen Bong and Lian Cheng

KUCHING, June 14: Construction of the new house for Tchee Foh Hin, whose son Kian Jong was killed in the CityOne Megamall explosion on Dec 4 last year, is near completion, despite some delays due to unexpected ground conditions.

Work to build the house at Lorong 10A Stampin Baru Resettlement Scheme here started on Feb 19 and was expected to be wrapped up by end of April.

However, Tchee told DayakDaily today that he was informed the project had to be delayed as some works needed to be redone in order to ensure the building is in full compliance with all safety requirements before occupation.

“Structure wise, I think it is now more or less 65 per cent completed, leaving only minor works such as roofing, installation of windows, flooring and some other small jobs,” he said, when met at his dilapidated wooden house in the same neighbourhood.

The dilapidated wooden house where Tchee currently stays with his youngest son.

While he could not monitor the progress of the works personally as he has mobility issues, he was thankful to the many concerned neighbours and friends who have been giving him updates.

“Hopefully, it will be at least 95 per cent completed by August. I am not like in a hurry to move in, but the most important thing is the safety of the house for occupation,” he emphasised.

“I have no complaints even though there is a delay. I am not demanding for anything more because I am truly grateful for all the help and assistance from all parties.”

Construction work on the new house is progressing well, although there were some challenges and obstacles.

Furthermore, Tchee expressed confidence that with the Public Works Department (JKR) supervision, they would ensure that the house will be delivered according to health and safety standards.

This project, he reiterated, was a joint collaboration between the state government, federal government, Democratic Action Party (DAP) and philanthropists.

“The house is built with the Sarawakian spirit and unified efforts from all parties and organisations, irrespective of political differences. Again, I am thankful that I will have a house of my own in due time,” he smiled, — DayakDaily