Windfall for resettlement scheme owners as government approves premium refund

Yong shows the page of the Hansard that contains Awang Tengah’s speech.

KUCHING, July 18: Pending assemblywoman Violet Yong has reminded resettlement allottees to claim back the premium refund which the Sarawak government had approved on May 6 this year.

“I am happy that the issue I brought up has caught the attention of the state government. They have responded and agreed to give this refund.

“For those who have not applied, they can apply through the Land and Survey Department,” said Yong during a press conference on the sidelines of the Sarawak Legislative Assembly today.

She said this refund involved a sum of RM43 million. A total of 7,174 resettlement scheme owners are entitled for this refund.

“It is good news because on average the owners who had paid before are entitled to get back at least RM5,000 to RM11,000. That’s a lot of money for them,” she said.


Yong was referring to the announcement made by Second Urban Development and Natural Resources Minister Datuk Amar Awang Tengah Ali Hasan yesterday. He said during his winding-up speech at DUN that the state government had decided on May 6, 2018, to reduce land premium to not more than RM2,500 for every lot in all resettlement schemes and village expansion schemes, except Demak Resettlement Scheme Phase 3, 4 and 6.

Yong said since the government had already allocated the amount, which was a fair decision, all those who are entitled should claim the refund.

“As to the details of applications, we have to wait for further information to be revealed by the Land and Survey Department because now, they are in the midst of preparing all the necessary application forms together with the checklist.”

She said refunds would only be made to the original allottees and not those who had sold the lot to a third party. — DayakDaily