Twenty families made homeless in Sibu longhouse fire

The longhouse in flames

By Malcolm Lau

KUCHING, Aug 17: Twenty families were made homeless after their longhouse located at Nangga Bilat Entabai Julau, Sibu caught fire on Monday afternoon.

Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) was contacted at 1.11 pm and a team was dispatched to the scene.

According to a statement from the State Bomba Operation Centre, Bomba took one hour and 24 minutes to reach the scene of the fire, which was 71 kilometres away from the station.

The cause of the fire was believed to have started from unit 14 at the rear kitchen side. The fire later spread and consumed the whole longhouse


Bomba faced difficulty in putting out the fire as there was only a water pond instead of a open water source. The firefighters managed to douse the fire by using three nozzles.

The operation ended at 5.19 pm and Bomba returned to their station.-DayakDaily