Tribunal a good avenue for settling housing disputes — SUPP leader

Yap (second from right) with dissatisfied purchasers seeking assistance and advice regarding their rights as house buyers at a housing project in Jalan Datuk Stephen Yong, Kuching.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.

KUCHING, Nov 21: Dissatisfied house owners can refer their discontentment to the Tribunal for Housing Purchaser’s Claims Sarawak, an establishment set up by the state government to hear complaints of house buyers.

Sarawak United Peoples’ Party (SUPP) Public Complaints Bureau (PCB) chief Wilfred Yap has been receiving numerous requests for advice and assistance concerning late delivery and defects of their houses.

“It appears that many house buyers still do not know that they can exercise their rights when there is a dispute between them and the housing developers, especially on non-compliance by the developers according to the sales and purchase agreement.

“SUPP Public Complaints Bureau would like to inform house buyers that they can refer their dissatisfaction or dispute with the housing developer to the Tribunal for Housing Purchaser’s Claims Sarawak, which was set up by the Sarawak government to hear, mediate, resolve and adjudicate housing purchaser’s claims from housing developers in an easy, cheap and efficient manner,” said Yap in a statement today.

He said dissatisfied house purchasers could file their claim with the Housing Claims Tribunal together with the prescribed fee of RM50.

“The Tribunal can hear claims of up to RM40,000, and the house buyer and housing developer are not allowed to engage lawyers to represent them during the hearing at the Tribunal.

“However, no claims shall be entertained by the Tribunal if there is already a suit of action filed in any civil court relating to the same issue in dispute,” he explained.

The public is advised to go to the Sarawak Ministry of Housing Official Website ( or call 082-445839 or 447289 for more information.

Yap said SUPP Public Complaints Bureau is always ready to give advice and lend a helping hand to anyone facing problems with government departments or agencies or who come across problems of public interest but do not know how to deal with them.

Anyone requiring assistance may call SUPP Public Complaint’s mobile number at 016-7797688 or 082-246999 or go directly to SUPP Head Office to request for assistance. — DayakDaily