Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.
SIBU, April 6: Sibu police have denied allegations that they are not taking the desecration of seven graves at Bukit Aup cemetery seriously.
Acting Sibu district police chief Supt Dr Collin Babat today asserted that the police are in the midst of conducting a detailed investigation into the incident after receiving two reports last month.
“Sibu police would like to refute the allegations concerning the desecration of graveyards at the end of March this year. We have received two police reports and two investigation papers have been opened under section 297 of the Penal Code where the investigation is still underway,” he said.
Collin said as of April 6, they have received seven more police reports and have also opened investigation papers under the same section.
He said the allegation that the police did not take appropriate action immediately was not true.
“Sibu police would like to emphasise that if the police report contains elements of crime or illegal misconduct, the investigation will be carried out thoroughly and those responsible will be arrested and charged in court,” he said.
On Tuesday, Dudong assemblyman Datuk Seri Tiong King Sing claimed that two police reports received at the end of March did not receive attention and appropriate action was not taken by the police.
“We call on the public who have any information to come to any police station to assist in the investigation,” he urged.
Last Sunday, families of the deceased who visited the cemetery in conjunction with the Qing Ming (Tomb-Sweeping Day) festival found that seven graves had been looted and their coffins had been burnt by irresponsible parties. — DayakDaily