SIBU, Dec 30: There is no official Countdown 2021 tomorrow night at the town square but the public celebrating it on their own are advised to stay safe.
Every year, Sibu Municipal Council (SMC) would be organising a countdown to usher the new year at the town square.
However, it will not take place this time as the Covid-19 pandemic is still in our midst.
Speaking at a press conference today, SMC chairman Clarence Ting advised the public to play smart when celebrating the coming of the new year.
“In celebrating countdown 2021, do not be complacent by not wearing a face mask, and sanitising our hands. Do not think that we can go about like any other pre-covid normal days. I hope people will follow my advice by staying safe” he advised.
As there is no countdown at the town square this year, the public here could however witness the state level Countdown 2021 on TV Sarawak at Astro Channel 122.
“There is no countdown in other towns this year but there is a state-level event in Kuching organised by the Tourism Ministry. The public can tune in to watch it on Sarawak TV,” he said.
Separately, he said swab test had been done on more than 1,000 people after four Covid-19 positive Indonesian women were reported waiting at a bus stop in front of Pasa Tamu Taman Indah on Dec 16.
“Those who came forward for the test were from areas around the Pasar Tamu and Sibujaya. None of them was positive with the virus,” he said.
With this, he hoped that the public would patronise the Tamu again after they had deserted it.
“Business in the Tamu has turned from bad to worse due to the illegal Indonesians who were tested positive with the virus. The medical department had conducted over 1,000 swab tests. We found out that there is no positive case from this swab test. So I hope that the people will come back to Pasar Tamu,” he said. -DayakDaily