KUCHING, Sept 30: The Ministry of Health (MOH) has mobilised more health and medical relief teams to Tawau, Lahad Datu, Semporna, and Kunak to help their comrades fighting against Covid-19 pandemic in Sabah.
Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah in a statement said the ministry began mobilising its team since Sabah started recording an increase in Covid-19.
Ministry of Health (MOH) had earlier mobilised relief teams from Sarawak, Labuan and Peninsular Malaysia in stages since Sept 23.
“A total of 10 microbiological science officers and five laboratory technologists were sent to Tawau Hospital, Lahad Datu Hospital, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Likas Women and Children Hospital and Kota Kinabalu Public Health laboratory to assist the process of Covid-19 screening in the laboratory.
“Another group which are the support team will assist in contact tracing, community field screening and maintenance of quarantine centers and hospitals,” Dr Noor Hisham disclosed.
He added that MOH has also deployed 72 trained nurses to work at Kunak Hospital; Queen Elizabeth Hospital; Tenom Hospital; Beluran Hospital; Keningau Hospital; Likas Women and Children Hospital; and Kota Belud Hospital.
“From Oct 1 (tomorrow) a total of 140 medical officers and 225 assistant medical pfficers will be stationed at the Sabah state Health Department according to current vacancies and service requirements, including clinics, hospitals and area health offices throughout Sabah.
“We will continue to assess our human resources and add more when needed to help control the situation and transmission in Sabah, while ensuring the continuity of health services there,” Dr Noor Hisham said.
He also assured that the welfare of its health and medical front liners will be prioritised as they are MOH’s main assets.
This includes the aspects of logistics, training and appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). — DayakDaily