Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.<!––
SIBU, Feb 14: Following the announcement by the State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) yesterday, Sibu which is currently still classified as a Covid-19 red zone will be under a Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) starting Feb tomorrow, from the current Movement Control Order (MCO).
However many residents here met by DayakDaily feel that the town is still not safe yet despite the new order, as they still harbour the fear of contracting the virus. Thus, they will continue to abide by the MCO standard operating procedure (SOP) guidelines which are stricter than those under CMCO.
Tour operator Ling How Kang opined that the situation locally is not only not abating but getting more serious, going by the number of new infections recorded daily.
“Imagine if you contract the virus and spread it to your family and others, you will feel guilty for the rest of your life,” he asserted.
As his safety is of top priority, he would only dine-in at eatery outlets when there is no crowd.
“I will continue to wake up early at 4am and dine-in at the coffee shop alone so as to avoid the crowd. You will never know what will happen so this is the safest way,” he reckoned.
Other safety precautions which Ling observes includes wearing a face mask at all time when in public places, washing hands and showering immediately after returning home from outside trips.
“I will also not hold any gathering for many months to come and observe physical distancing when meeting friends,” he said.
Retiree Roy Ting concurred with Ling.
“We will be in CMCO tomorrow. However we must not be complacent but continue to observe very strict SOP so as to keep us free from the virus,” he said.
Ting advised those with children and elderly parents, not to “play play” (take things lightly) as the situation here is still not under control yet.
“Also those with comorbidities such as diabetes and high blood pressure, don’t play with this pandemic as it is not a joke. Last week, I read news about MCA (Malaysian Chinese Associaion) Public Services and Complaints Department chief Datuk Seri Michael Chong who had recovered from the virus. Chong said his experience as a Covid-19 patient was “hell” ,” he cautioned. — DayakDaily