Long-awaited Batu Niah Fire Station set to start operations in February

Supt Law Poh Kiong speaking to reporters after the pinning of rank ceremony held today.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.

By Jaythaleela K

MIRI, Jan 9: The long-delayed Batu Niah Fire Station will begin operations in February, once construction is completed this month, disclosed Miri Fire and Rescue department chief Supt Law Poh Kiong.

Supt Law was met today after attending the pinning of rank ceremony of 33 fire officers at Lopeng fire station.

“Our logistics and assets, including personnel, have been ready for deployment to the new building (Batu Niah fire station),” he said.

He added that a total of 33 officers, including nine permanent fire fighters, would be deployed to Batu Niah fire station once it is completed.

“We are encouraging locals (from Batu Niah) to apply for the auxiliary firefighters positions or Pegawai Bomba Bantuan (PBB) to assist our officers there,” Law said, referring to the Batu Niah fire station.

The project was initially contracted to a firm for the sum of RM5 million and work began on Aug 14 , 2015 and was supposed to be completed by Nov 13, 2016.

On Oct 26, 2017, however, the contract was terminated due to financial constraints.

The site for the Batu Niah fire station is on a two-acre land at Jalan Gunung Batu Niah.

Construction work on the project resumed on Apr 17 last year with a new firm at the cost of RM2.3million.

On another note, Law also revealed that Miri Fire and Rescue department would be receiving a major boost in their services with the arrival of Rapid Intervention Motorcycle (RIM) this month.

“We’ll be showcasing the unit on Jan 15 at Lopeng fire station,” he said.

Law added that the Miri Fire and Rescue department would be receiving three RIM to start. —DayakDaily

Supt Law(left) and Terry Robson (right) pinning the rank on Lopeng Fire and Rescue (Bomba)station senior fire officer Rorudi Umas.
Supt Law (left) pinning the rank on PBKII Jimmy Suhaili (seated) witnessed by Lopeng Fire and Rescue station chief Terry Robson (right).