KUCHING, April 25: A decline in the number of Movement Control Order (MCO) violators showed that the public now realised the importance of the strict measures imposed to curb the spread of Covid-19.
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said that police have so far arrested 386 violators nationwide today, compared to 550 in the previous day.
“From the figure, we can see that the number of arrests are declining and hopefully the trend will continue. This also meant that the public are starting to understand and comply with the guidelines of the MCO,” he addressed a daily press conference on MCO in Putrajaya today.
Ismail Sabri updated that 332 violators have been remanded and another 54 individuals have been released on police bail.
“A total of 649 violators were also brought to court and charged yesterday (April 24), bringing the total cumulative figure of arrests for not complying with MCO to 19,434,” he said.
Meanwhile, he disclosed that 16,633 individuals, including 1,794 Malaysians who have returned from overseas yesterday, were currently undergoing compulsory quarantine at 209 facilities nationwide.
Ismail Sabri added that a total of 19,945 Malaysians have returned from overseas and undergone the compulsory quarantine since March 3 and up to date, 131 individuals have tested positive for Covid-19.
“This meant that our mandatory quarantine process does help to curb the pandemic from spreading, and at the same time, prevent a new cluster from forming,” he emphasised.— DayakDaily