Here’s the best way to avoid tenancy disputes from arising

Yap (right) mediating a dispute between a landlord and a tenant.

KUCHING, May 7: Sarawak United Peoples’ Party (SUPP) Public Complaints Bureau (PCB) today advised the public to always have a written tenancy agreement to avoid misinterpretation as well as to agree to the terms and conditions in the said agreement.

Its chief, Wilfred Yap, said he had been receiving requests for assistance from disgruntled landlords and tenants seeking his assistance and legal advice on the problems they were facing.

In a statement today, Yap revealed that most of the problems arose because the disputing parties did not have a written and legally binding Tenancy Agreement.

“By having a well-written tenancy agreement, which outlines the tenant and landlords’ duties, obligations and responsibilities, any disputes further down the line would be avoided.

“In a dispute without a written tenancy agreement, it would be very difficult to prove who is actually in the right or wrong,” he shared.

According to Yap, a tenancy agreement formalises the contract between the landlord and the tenant.

“It allows the tenant to live in or use the property for the entire duration of the property as long as the tenant continues to pay rent and follow the rules. As such, the tenancy agreement is clearly a crucial document when it comes to letting or renting a property,” he elaborated.

Another thing many people overlook is the importance of the tenancy agreement to be stamped.

“In order for the agreement to be valid as a legal document admissible in court as evidence, it is compulsory for the agreement to be stamped by the Inland Revenue Board (Lembaga Hasil Dalam Negeri).

“SUPP PCB would, therefore, advise that it would be wise for the public to consult and engage a lawyer to draft a legally binding tenancy agreement to reduce potential risks of problems or disputes,” he said.

Anyone requiring assistance can always call SUPP Public Complaint’s mobile number at 016-7797688 or 082-246999 or go direct to SUPP Head Office to request for assistance. — DayakDaily