Bullet death threat: Main suspect surrenders to Sibu police

ACP Stanley Jonathan Ringgit./DDfilephoto

SIBU, Nov 30: Police believe they have solved a case involving a death threat against a senior customs officer after the prime suspect surrendered himself today.

Sarawak Deputy Police Commissioner Datuk Fisol Salleh said the 35-year-old suspect from Serian who is wanted by the police, came to the Sungai Merah police station at about 9.10am to surrender himself.

He was subsequently arrested for investigation under Section 507 of the Penal Code for criminal intimidation via anonymous communication.

The police launched a manhunt for him after the senior customs officer from the Kuching Royal Malaysian Customs Department received the death threat on Nov 26.

“The senior customs officer reported to the police that at about 12.15pm on Nov 26 he had received a parcel with two bullets which was sent to his home in Jalan Matang in Kuching,” revealed Fisol.

“There was also a note in the parcel which read: “Got 2 bullets. One long, one short. Which one you want!” ” he said, adding that the bullets measured 9mm and 5.5mm in size.

Police investigations led to the arrests of three suspects aged between 35 to 39. One of them admitted being paid RM500 by the main suspect to send the parcel to the victim.

Fisol said the police took the case seriously as bullets had been sent to a civil servant as a threat upon his life.

“With the arrest, we believe we have solved the case.

“We will continue with our investigation on the suspect into whether he is also involved in gangsterism and smuggling syndicates under POCA (Prevention of Crime Act) and seven other cases of housebreak-in and criminal intimidation,” he said.

A urine test conducted on the suspect came back positive for amphetamine and methamphetamine.

On Nov 29, Royal Malaysian Customs Department director-general Datuk Abdul Laif Abdul Kadir revealed the victim was targetted as he had led operations to curb illegal smuggling at Rejang Port Authority in Sibu and Bintulu Port from Oct 21 to Nov 13.

During these operation, goods worth more than RM2.64 million involving RM655,000 in customs tax were seized. — DayakDaily