SIBU, June 17: A salesman was conned out of RM32,000 in a too-good-to be-true investment scheme which did not exist.
According to Sibu district deputy police chief Supt Collin Babat, the 25-year-old victim received a message at about 8am on March 7 on a chatting platform inviting him to join in an investment scheme claiming to offer lucrative returns.
He said the victim was told that if he invested RM1,000 in the so-called scheme at www.sblock.com, he would receive a return of RM500.
“Feeling that he could make a huge profit from such investment, he started transferring money from March 7 to June 5 amounting to RM32,000,” he said.
After that, the suspect told him that his money, together with the profit, would be credited to his account.
“But he was asked to increase his investment. He did not do as requested as he had run out of money,” said Supt Collin.
The victim became suspicious from June 10, as he could no longer communicate with the suspect and had been blocked from his chatting account.
“He only realised that he has been conned by the suspect when his brother told him that he had fallen victim to a scam,” he added.
The victim lodged a police report on June 16.
The case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating.—DayakDaily