KUCHING, May 3: The state government is exercising patience with wisdom by not following the federal government’s decision to implement conditional movement control order (CMCO) effective tomorrow.
Kota Samarahan District Council chairman Datuk Peter Minos described the move by the state government as good and wise, with Sarawakians safer and assured.
“It is not that we disagreed with the decision by the federal government, but we have the lingering fear that opening up too early or too prematurely may and likely to create a second wave as what happened in Singapore and Hokkaido, Japan.
“We exercise a little patience and see how things are, say by May 12 (end of the fourth phase MCO). If the death and infection cure is flat, say by May 8, then and only can we progressively open up,” he said.
Minos questioned why to open up on May 4 and not wait until May 12 as previously agreed and accepted.
Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, in his Labour Day message on May 1, said CMCO will be implemented effective tomorrow to allow some sectors of the economy to operate.
Minos also highlighted that it was frightening and scary to note that there was already 65,000 death in the United States due to Covid-19, adding that such a scenario was the very thing that the people fear.
Minister of Tourism, Arts, Culture, Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah, when contacted, said that the state is still doing an in-depth study of CMCO.
“The state is still doing its in-depth study of the CMCO to finalise what to be adopted and whatnot, so it is premature to comment now,” he said.
State Disaster Management Committee, headed by deputy chief minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas, yesterday announced that the state will not implement the CMCO. — DayakDaily