Telco services allowed to operate during MCO, but counter and retail services prohibited

File photo depicting a smartphone.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


By Ling Hui

KUCHING, May 28: Although telecommunication services are listed under essential services allowed to operate during Sarawak’s Movement Control Order (MCO) period from May 29 to June 11, related counter and retail services are prohibited.

The latest standard operating procedure (SOP) by the State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) released today said repair, maintenance, operation works, data centres and call centres in the telecommunication sector are allowed to run fully without limitations.


However, for general administration and miscellaneous works, the operations are restricted to 6am until 8pm only and workforce capacity is limited to only 30 per cent at any one time for private companies.

To comply with this, employers are responsible to arrange and determine their employees’ rotated work timetable to be in offices.

For public companies, on the other hand, only 20 per cent of the overall working capacity is allowed while the remaining 80 per cent must work from home.

Meanwhile, SDMC also noted that no visitings are permitted at prisons, temporary detention centres, immigration depots and lockups though these premises are allowed to operate during MCO.

While the operation section of such centres received the green light to run fully, general administration and miscellaneous works are also restricted. — DayakDaily