Services of main Sarawak hospital contractor to be terminated

The grossly delayed Petra Jaya Hospital building project. (File picture)

KUCHING, July 5: The services of the main contractor of Petra Jaya Hospital building project will be terminated and the federal Works Ministry will take over the project.

Health Minister Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad made the announcement today, saying that the Cabinet has agreed in principle to terminate the services of the local Sarawak contractor.

He hoped this will serve as a warning to other contractors who delivered poor services, said Dr Dzulkefly after launching the Healthcare Forum 2018 – Sustaining Tomorrow’s Healthcare Empowering Today’s Consumers, reported The Star.

Dr Dzulkefly proposed to terminate the contractor during a meeting with the Health Department and Works Ministry when he visited the hospital project here on Tuesday.

He said during his visit to Kuching on Tuesday that such a solution would also be applied to all the 23 “sick” hospital and clinic projects nationwide, including the Sri Aman hospital which is also grossly delayed.


The work on Petra Jaya Hospital started in May 2013 and was supposed to be completed by Nov 2016. As of last week, work was only 34.5 per cent completed. The latest appeal by the contractor was for the completion date to be extended to December this year.

The federal Works Ministry will take over the RM495 million Petra Jaya Hospital building project as the main implementor.

The services of the sub-contractors and the consultant will be retained, Dr Dzulkefly said during his Tuesday visit to Kuching. — DayakDaily