by Nancy Nais
KUCHING, Jan 14: Further construction work on the RM8.05 million Satok suspension bridge, which caused some panic in September when one of its anchor blocks tilted, is expected to be completed in June this year.
Giving his assurance that although the bridge was safe and that there was nothing wrong with it, Minister of Infrastructure and Ports Tan Sri Dr James Jemut Masing said the bridge was not open for public use yet.
“I don’t want to take chances until we are 100 per cent sure. Public Works Department (JKR) Sarawak is putting another anchor block nearer to the bridge and works are ongoing,” Masing said after officiating the department’s Safety & Quality Forum welcoming dinner last night.
Works on the suspension bridge commenced on Sept 19, 2017 and it was expected to be completed by September last year.
However, on Sept 3, one of the pillars was seen tilting from the weight of the structure, causing apprehension and concern among the public.
Masing added that independent consultants have reviewed and confirmed the overall bridge design as well as carry out a detailed geotechnical assessment.
The tilt was caused by a series of static load tests conducted on the bridge during construction.
The 130m-long bridge, which was constructed in 1923, had collapsed in 2004. —DayakDaily