By Nancy Nais
KUCHING, Jan 28: Since Covid-19’s presence two years ago, some 4,000 deaths have been recorded in Sarawak, said Deputy Chief Minister Dato Sri Dr Sim Kui Hian.
“Since the pandemic, around 1,600 individuals passed away as a direct consequence of Covid-19, while about 2,400 died not directly due to Covid-19.
“With the expected surge of the Omicron variant in Sarawak, I urged everyone to remain cautious and follow all the Covid-19 standard operating procedures (SOPs) strictly, especially with the upcoming Chinese New Year celebration next week,” cautioned Dr Sim.
Speaking at the launch of the Sarawak Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) Chinese New Year fire safety campaign today, Dr Sim, who is also Minister for Public Health, Housing, and Local Government, said although Sarawak’s death figure is relatively low in Malaysia, he laments on how sad and heartbreaking it was for anyone who lost a family member or friend due to Covid-19.
While Sarawak’s daily Covid-19 numbers had been low in recent weeks due to public compliance with the SOPs as well as self-testing, Dr Sim reminded the public not to let their guards down.
“Sarawak is preparing for the worst despite its Covid-19 daily cases showing a downward trend.
“That is why Sarawak is setting up the hybrid modular intensive care unit (ICU) at the Sarawak General Hospital (SGH), in case there is a surge of cases that need to be admitted,” he added.
Meanwhile, during the fire safety campaign event, Dr Sim with Bomba Sarawak director Datuk Khirudin Drahman, deputy director Tiong Ling Hii, assistant director of fire safety Mohamad Fauzi Mohamat Kifli, Padungan fire station chief Tan Min Chai, and several officers visited the shops at Jalan Padungan to distribute leaflets.
Among those who joined the event were Kuching South City Council (MBKS) mayor Datuk Wee Hong Seng, Kapitan Datuk Hii Ting Sing, and Kapitan Ho Mung Gek. — DayakDaily