Sarawak Energy Berhad to increase its education allocation next year

Sharbini (left) presents a scholarship award to student Azzaiah Alphonsus Jenau Steward.

KUCHING, Dec 7: Sarawak Energy Berhad (SEB) will be increasing its annual education allocation from RM5 million to RM8 million next year.

Group CEO Sharbini Suhaili said this was because of SEB’s increasing commitment towards expanding the state’s pool of competent young talents as SEB’s potential recruits to fulfil the company’s future manpower needs.

Through the company’s scholarship programme, said Sharbini, SEB would be able to spot, attract and build up talents for and within the organisation as it works towards its ambition to become a regional powerhouse and employer of choice.

“We need to attract the best talent and to develop our workforce into a high performance SEB team who can work together to compete with the best in the region,” he said during SEB’s Annual Scholarship Awards presentation at Imperial Hotel here today.

​Sharbini (second row, centre) and SEB group executive members are seen in a group photo with scholarship recipients.

A total of 99 people received the scholarship award, where 85 were young Sarawakian students who just got accepted into various higher learning institutions from all over the world. The rest were SEB employees seeking to further their studies.


Since the introduction of the scholarship awards programme in 2014, some 314 students have benefited from the said programme with more than 212 still pursuing their studies, according to a press release.

Out of the total education allocation, 70 per cent was for the scholarship programme while the remaining 30 per cent was for the company’s corporate social responsibility (for the community) and employees’ value proposition (for its staff’s children).

Sharbini added that apart from the scholarship programme, SEB also has an internship and campus ambassador programme as SEB also aimed to be the first corporate entity in the state to attract the best of young Sarawakian talents in the market.

“SEB is committed in developing strategic initiatives and partnerships that will drive capability development in the state.

“We aim to ease the path to higher education for bright young students from throughout Sarawak,” he concluded. — DayakDaily