Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.
SIBU, March 3: All pork sold at markets here are safe for consumption, assured Bukit Assek assemblyman Joseph Chieng.
Chieng said today that before pigs are sent to Sibu Municipal Council’s (SMC) abattoirs for slaughtering, they would have to undergo stringent checks by the Department of Veterinary Services (DVS).
He said this during a check at the central market pork section together with Katibas assemblyman Lidam Assan and Sibu assistant veterinary officer Anthony Janggu.
“We would like to assure Sibu people not to worry as pork sold in the market is safe to consume. Our visit to the pork sellers here today is to support them as their business has been affected for the past two to three months,” he said.
He said since African Swine Fever (ASF) was detected at pig farms here, the government had done its utmost to ensure the situation was under control.
“DVS is conducting thorough check on every pig at farms as SMC has a strict SOP (standard operating procedure) that needs to be followed before the pigs are slaughtered at its abattoir for sale in the market,” he said.
Meanwhile, Janggu said the department had last month culled 1,457 pigs at one of the four farms here.
“This is the only licensed farm with ASF. We have culled 1,457 pigs and after that closed it temporarily,” he said.
ASF is not a zoonotic disease, and therefore cannot spread between animals and humans – it is only transmitted between pigs.
Chieng added that pork sold in the market is currently supplied by the other three farms together with some from Kuching.
In January this year, more than 4,000 pigs were slaughtered at the abattoirs for the market. The number decreased to half in Feb due to the spread of ASF. — DayakDaily