Piasau rep’s house in Miri broken into, again

Belongings were found scattered all over the floor.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.

By Jaythaleela K

MIRI, Dec 17: For the second time in three years, the house of Piasau assemblyman Datuk Sebastian Ting in Tanjong Lobang here was found broken into earlier today.

The discovery was made by his eldest son, Jeremy, 45, at about 8am when he went to the house for a routine check.

The first time the house was reported burglarized was in 2015.

According to Jeremy, the house was ransacked and belongings were spewed all over the floor.

Ting is currently in Kuching for a Sarawak United Peoples’ Party (SUPP) meeting. He is the party’s secretary-general.

However, last night, he was here attending a pre-Christmas celebration at SUPP’s office in Pelita Commercial Centre.

“After the event, I drove Dato (Ting) straight to Miri Airport. I then drove to Dato’s house and arrive there at about 9pm to change cars as I had left my car at Dato’s house,” said Ting’s personal assistant, who wanted to be known only as Chia, to DayakDaily when met at the scene this morning.

It was believed that the intruders gained entry into the house through the backyard as the fence was found cut and that goes for the iron grill on the kitchen window, too.

At press time, it is unclear whether police have made any arrests or whether anything valuable was stolen. However, some electronic gadgets were reported missing.

The iron grill of the kitchen windows was found cut.
Several electronic gadgets were reported missing.

When contacted, Ting said it was fortunate that his third son, Malcolm, 29, was not in the house during the break-in.

“It is a blessing that my son was not in the house when the incident happened. He was staying overnight at one of his friends’ house.

“I can’t imagine what would have happened if he was in the house when the intrusion happens,” said Ting.

A police team from the Miri Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and from the K9 unit rushed to the house at about 9.30am when alerted of the incident.

City police chief ACP Lim Meng Seah, when contacted, said the case was being investigated under Section 457 of the Penal Code for housebreaking. — DayakDaily