Ops Tiris 4.0 nets RM3.7 mln in diesel seizures across Sarawak, 97 cases recorded

Ahmad Nadzri (left) and Matthew (second left) discussing something with an officer during Ops Tiris 4.0 (Integrated) enforcement operation at Mile 8, Jalan Penrissen on May 19, 2026.
Advertisement

By DayakDaily Team

KUCHING, May 20: Diesel-related offences accounted for the highest number of cases under Ops Tiris 4.0 (Integrated) in Sarawak, totalling 97 cases involving seizures of approximately 1,015,395.51 litres worth RM3.7 million.

Sarawak Federal Secretary Dato Ahmad Nadzri Mohd Hassan said the figures were recorded from 4,782 inspections conducted statewide between March 16 and May 17 this year through joint enforcement efforts involving the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Cost of Living (KPDN), Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM), Sarawak Security and Enforcement Unit (UKPS), and other agencies.

Advertisement

“A total of 107 cases had been recorded under the operation, leading to the arrest of 21 individuals, while the total value of all seizures amounted to RM9.6 million,” he said in a statement issued after conducting an Ops Tiris 4.0 (Integrated) enforcement operation at Mile 8, Jalan Penrissen on Tuesday (May 19).

Ahmad Nadzri stressed that the Sarawak and federal governments remain committed to strengthening strategic cooperation among enforcement agencies including the Road Transport Department (JPJ), PDRM, and UKPS to combat the smuggling and misappropriation of controlled goods, especially diesel subsidies.

“Firm action will be taken against any parties involved in the abuse of national subsidies as such activities affect the country’s economy and the wellbeing of the people,” he said.

Last night, KPDN Sarawak together with JPJ Sarawak and UKPS conducted integrated roadblocks around Kuching, focusing on identified hotspot routes believed to be used for diesel smuggling activities.

Also present were KPDN Sarawak director Matthew Dominic Barin, JPJ Sarawak director Norizan Jili, and UKPS director Abdul Wahab Rahim.

Meanwhile, Ahmad Nadzri disclosed that in an integrated Ops Tiris 4.0 operation carried out in Sibu on the same day following intelligence gathering and surveillance, enforcement teams uncovered two cases involving suspected diesel misappropriation.

Among the seizures was a vessel carrying an estimated 10,000 litres of diesel worth RM21,500 stored in four tanks believed to be kept without a permit, as well as a van suspected of conducting repeated diesel purchases at petrol stations for illegal purposes.

In a separate operation, the General Operations Force (GOF) raided a premises suspected of storing diesel without a permit in two skid tanks containing an estimated 3,200 litres valued at RM15,680.

A local man in his 40s, believed to be the manager of the premises, was detained and the case handed over to KPDN for further investigation.

The combined value of seizures from the three cases was estimated at RM78,490.

Initial inspections found that the premises and vessel failed to produce valid documentation related to the ownership and transportation of the fuel.

As a result, three investigation papers were opened under Ops 555 and Ops Jeriji pursuant to Section 21 of the Supply Control Act 1961 for possession or control of controlled goods under suspicious circumstances.

Under the law, individuals convicted may face fines of up to RM1 million or imprisonment of up to three years, or both, while repeat offenders may face fines of up to RM3 million or imprisonment of up to five years.

Companies convicted may be fined up to RM2 million, with repeat offences carrying fines of up to RM5 million.

Ahmad Nadzri also urged the public to serve as the “eyes and ears” of enforcement authorities by reporting any suspicious activities involving traders or distributors through KPDN complaint channels, including WhatsApp (019-848 8000), e-mail (e-aduan@kpdn.gov.my), the call centre (1-800-886-800), and the Ez ADU KPDN mobile application. — DayakDaily

Advertisement