Late Siddiq laid to rest, wanted to have lunch with family on day he was shot

Shamsudin (front row, left) accompanying the other RMAF officers carrying the casket bearing Siddiq's remains.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.

By Nur Ashikin Louis

KUCHING, Aug 15: The late Corporal Sharif Mohd Siddiq Al-Attas Wan Sabli, 29, told his wife that he wanted to come home for lunch with his family before going to work on the day he was shot last Friday (Aug 13).

His wife Shima Mustapha, 29, disclosed this to reporters when asked about her last interaction with her late husband who was one of the Royal Malaysia Air Force (RMAF) personnel who died in the incident at Kota Samarahan RMAF Camp.

“When I received the news that my husband had died on the day of the incident, at first I didn’t believe it.

“But when I heard my husband’s name mentioned, I had no choice but to accept his departure because I knew my husband was a hero at the camp,” Shima said when met after the burial at the Muslim Cemetery in Kampung Melayu Siniawan this morning.

Shima speaking to reporters at the cemetery.

The late Siddiq’s remains arrived at the cemetery at 9.15am accompanied by other RMAF officers and members.

Final rites were performed with military ceremony in cloudy weather and drizzling rain.

Shima was present with the couple’s two daughters, Sharifah Syafa Syakira, 5, and Sharifah Syafa Syahirah, 3, while their youngest son Sharif Edrogan, who is just over a month old, was not brought to the cemetery.

RMAF Air Commander for Region Two, Major General Datuk Shamsudin Kassim who was also present during the funeral handed over the RMAF and Jalur Gemilang flags to Shima as a symbol of respect for the deceased.

Shamsudin presents RMAF and Jalur Gemilang flags to Shima as a symbol of respect to the late Siddiq.

The late Siddiq was among the four RMAF personnel who died in a shooting incident at the Kota Samarahan RMAF Camp last Friday (Aug 13).

In the incident around 7.15am, one of the RMAF personnel is believed to have shot three of his colleagues before shooting himself.

The suspect and two other victims died at the scene while Siddiq who was seriously injured and shot in the abdomen was rushed to the Sarawak Heart Centre but was pronounced dead at 9.15am while receiving treatment.

The late Siddiq was the second of seven siblings and leaves behind a wife and three children.

The deceased had served with the RMAF for about 12 years and previously served at RMAF Kepala Batas, Penang before moving to RMAF Kota Samarahan about two years ago. — DayakDaily