
By DayakDaily Team
KOTA KINABALU, Aug 22: Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Sabah and Sarawak) Datuk Mustapha Sakmud said his ministry will discuss with the Ministry of Transport to find ways to address the sudden increase in flight fares involving Sabah and Sarawak.
He said he also raised the matter in the Cabinet meeting last week after receiving complaints from various parties about the fare increase.
Mustapha said one of the factors contributing to the fare increase is rising airline operating costs following the global energy crisis.
“One of the reasons is related to the global fuel crisis. When it rises, flight operating costs also increase, and eventually ticket prices go up.
“We have indeed received complaints from various parties regarding the rather steep increase. We will examine these complaints so that we can find methods together with the airlines to try to reduce them,” he said when attending the Madani Kita Bersama Komuniti Darau @Sepanggar Programme here today.
Mustapha said special attention is also given to prospective students who will enrol in universities and Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) institutions next month (September), especially those who need to travel by air.
He also said his ministry would collaborate with the Ministry of Higher Education to identify prospective university and TVET students who need flights, before the list is brought to the Cabinet to examine the steps that can be taken to facilitate their travel arrangements.
“So anything related to these flights, we are requesting the list, and we will review it to be presented to the Cabinet so that we can make a decision to facilitate their matters, Insya-Allah,” he added.
Previously, Karambunai assemblyman Datuk Dr Aliakbar Gulasan was reported to have urged the government to address the increase in flight ticket prices between Sabah and the Peninsular, which were said to have reached up to RM900 for a two-way trip. — Bernama




