Federal govt approves RM3.6 million for new mosque at Kampung Tanjung Bako

The present Darul Abidin Mosque at Kampung Tanjung Bako.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


By Nur Ashikin Louis

KUCHING, March 13: The federal government has approved an allocation of RM3.6 million to construct a new mosque at Kampung Tanjung Bako to replace the old Darul Abidin Mosque.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Parliament and Law) Dato Sri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said he had received a letter from the Implementation Coordination Unit (ICU) under the Prime Minister’s Department on March 3 with regards to the project approval.



“The Darul Abidin mosque was built in the 1980s. Despite being carefully looked after, the building has started to dilapidate as it is made of wood and often hit by floods during high tide.

“The implementation of the new mosque’s construction will be done under the State’s development unit and Public Works Department (PWD),” he said during his visit to Kampung Tanjung Bako today.

Wan Junaidi, who is also Santubong MP, further said that the new mosque would be built at the same location as the present mosque.

He suggested to the mosque committee to discuss with the SK Tanjong Bako school authority to consider using the school premises as a temporary place of worship for the villagers while the new mosque is being constructed.

At the same time, Wan Junaidi said he had previously proposed to establish a new town in the area covering Kampung Muhibbah, Kampung Pinggan Jaya and Kampung Tanjung Bako.

“These three villages consist of about 3,000 villagers, and I believe it is not a problem for the State government to open up new resettlement lots for those coming in from other villages.

“Once a bridge is developed near here, these villages will be connected directly to Kuching,” he pointed out.

He also mentioned that he would discuss this matter further with Sarawak Premier Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Abang Johari Tun Openg.

Earlier, Wan Junaidi also presented assistance to 16 villagers from four families who had been left homeless after their homes in Kampung Tanjung Bako were razed by fire on February 8.

He said he had plans to construct new homes for the victims, which will be done in stages through a ‘gotong-royong’ system led by the village chief. ― DayakDaily