SIBU,Feb 16: Sibu Benevolent Society suspects that 10 persons at their care centre who were tested Covid-19 positive have contracted the disease from a staff member.
Vice-chairman Robert Chew said since the Movement Control Order (MCO) was enforced on March 18 last year, they had banned visits.
“We have implemented the no-visitor policy on March 18 last year as a precaution since the residents here are elderly people. The only people that are allowed to the centre are our staff,” he said.
Chew when contacted said a staff who is staying in a longhouse in Salim was probably the index carrier of the disease.
The 10 patients included eight residents and 2 staff. The Home has 30 residents and 10 staff.
“A medical team came to our centre on the second day of the Chinese New Year to carry out swab test on all residents and staff. On Sunday (Feb 14), we were told by a doctor that 10 persons had been found positive with the coronavirus,” he said.
Chew said he had enquired from the doctor why the centre was suddenly under Covid-19 attack.
“We asked him but he did not provide us with a definite answer. So we suspected it came from a staff member.
“The following day (Feb 15), a Bomba team conducted a sanitisation exercise on the centre,” he said.
He said all residents and staff who were found negative with the virus, have to be quarantined in the centre.
“We have enough rooms for them. We are also providing them with food as we can cook in the centre’s kitchen,” he added. — DayakDaily