SIBU, Jan16: An integrated enforcement team led by the police had a busy day today checking the public and business premises on the compliance SOP on the first day of Movement Control Order 2.0 (MCO).
The Sibu division which included the district of Sibu, Kanowit and Selangau had been put under a two-week MCO period following an alarming spike in Covid-19 cases, especially from the Pasai Cluster.
The team of 139 people consisting of 69 policemen, 55 soldiers, two road transport department officers, five civil defence force personnel, five Rela members, including three from the Sibu Municipal Council participated in the operations.
The inspection began right after midnight today and would continue until Jan 29.
Among the places inspected included express boat terminals, entertainment centres, the Jalan Pahlawan Bus Terminal, eatery outlets, banks, construction sites, reflexology centres, factory, and religious houses.
Sibu district police chief, ACP Stanley Jonathan Ringgit said no compound or fines was issued today.
“However several businesses which are not under essential service category were asked to close. As it is only the first day of MCO 2.0, we were only giving advice to those who were found not abiding by SOPs,” he said.
He added that public members who were caught not wearing face masks or not wearing it properly were given a warning not to repeat the offence.
Overall, he said that the public had complied with the SOPs on the first day of MCO 2.0. -DayakDaily