Be alert, renew land leases before expiry, reminds SUPP PCB

Yap and the woman seeking his assistance at the Land Branch counter of Kuching Land and Survey Department, Kuching.

KUCHING, Aug 25: Sarawak United Peoples’ Party (SUPP) Public Complaints Bureau (PCB) reminds the public that land title leases can be renewed in advance before their expiry dates.

Its chief Wilfred Yap stated that an application for a renewal of land leases may be made anytime before their expiry.

He stressed on this in view of a recent case where a complainant faced difficulty transferring land belonging to her late father to the beneficiaries of the estate following the expiry of the land lease despite obtaining the Letters of Administration to her late father’s Estate.

As the lease of her father’s land title had expired, the woman who was the administrator of the Estate, could not transfer the land to the beneficiaries.

The woman sought help from Yap who thus reminded the public to renew their land leases before the expiry date to avoid the same complication.

“The basic criteria for renewal of land lease is that the land is not required for government development purposes and that the utilization of the land does not conflict with the conditions of title,” said Yap in a statement today.

He said land leases may be renewed for a term of 60 or 99 years.

A term of 99 years may be given to land for commercial (shophouse) and residential purposes, subject to additional premium of 30 per cent of the flat rates currently in force.

A term of 99 years may also be given to lands for agricultural purposes if the original term is 99 years without charging an additional premium.

“Application forms for renewing land leases can be obtained free from any of the land branch of Divisional Offices of the Land and Survey Department throughout Sarawak.

“Currently, there is no processing fee charged by the Land and Survey Department for any application for renewal of land lease,” he said.

Members of the public who have inquiries or problems renewing land leases should drop by at the nearest Land and Survey Office to seek assistance or visit Land & Survey Department official website at for more information.

SUPP PCB is always ready to lend a helping hand to anyone facing problems or who come across problems of public interest but does not know how to deal with it.

Anyone requiring assistance can always call SUPP Public Complaint Bureau’s mobile number at 016-7797688 or 082-246999 or go direct to SUPP Head Office.—DayakDaily