By Wendy John
SIBU, Dec 14: There could be light at the end of the tunnel for residents of the two longhouses affected by the cement-block blockade on the access road leading to their areas at Tanjung Penasu, Batang Igan.
According to Sibu Rural District Council (SRDC) chairman Sempurai Petrus Ngelai today, several proposals had been put forward to solve the issue.
“At this moment, I cannot reveal what are in these proposals as we are now trying to solve the matter on a win-win situation,” he said.
It was reported that the land owner of the property the road was built on had not received any compensation, which prompted him to set up the blockade on Dec 3 that is now affecting more than 300 residents of the two longhouses Rumah Jalak and Rumah Nita.
As the area fell within SRDC’s jurisdiction, Sempurai said that the council was trying
it’s best to end the blockade as the interest of the people was of top priority.
“I have also met and discussed with political secretary to the Chief Minister, Romeo Christopher Tegong on the matter,” he added.
Sempurai said that the council was confident that the matter would be resolved soon despite the necessary paperwork not forthcoming.
“It is important for SRDC to ensure that all matters concerning the people would be looked into through dialogue,” he said. —DayakDaily