
By Karen Bong
KUCHING, May 19: Minister of Tourism, Creative Industry and Performing Art Dato Sri Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah is confident Sarawak will finally achieve its long-awaited target of five million visitor arrivals this year despite ongoing geopolitical tensions in the Middle East.
Abdul Karim said Sarawak came very close to the milestone in 2025, recording 4.97 million visitors, falling short by only around 26,000 to 28,000 arrivals.
“I’m quite confident of us reaching the five million visitor arrival target because last year we got 4.97 million. It’s just short of 26,000 to 28,000. We should be able to hit it this year,” he told a press conference after delivering both of his ministerial winding up speech in Sarawak Legislative Assembly’s Media Room today.
Abdul Karim, who is also the Minister of Youth, Sports and Entrepreneur Development, revealed that although there were proposals to increase the target beyond five million, the ministry decided to maintain the existing benchmark until it is successfully achieved.
“That elusive five million since the year 2020, we have not been able to hit the target. There should be a big celebration if we are able to hit it this year,” he said.
According to Abdul Karim, once Sarawak surpasses the five million mark, the State would be well-positioned to set even higher tourism goals in the future.
“Once we hit it this year, the five million, there’s nothing to stop us,” he added.
The minister also highlighted how sporting achievements such as Kuching City FC qualifying for the 2026/2027 Asian Champions League 2 (ACL2) could contribute positively to Sarawak’s tourism industry by increasing international exposure.
He said football provides global marketing opportunities that would otherwise require millions of ringgit in promotional spending.
“A lot of people will be asking, ‘Where is this place, Kuching?’ Through football, we are already promoting Sarawak,” he said. — DayakDaily




