
By Shikin Louis
KUCHING, Aug 23: The main difference between the SUKMA Selangor and Sarawak opening ceremonies was simply the fireworks, says Deputy Minister for Youth and Sports Mordi Bimol.
Mordi brushed aside social media comparisons over the perceived lack of vibrancy at the opening of the 2026 Malaysia Games (SUKMA) in Selangor, saying the toned-down ceremony did not take away from the overall sporting spirit of the Games.
“I personally attended the opening ceremony of SUKMA Selangor and I felt that the vibrancy was slightly less, but it did not in any way affect the overall spirit and excitement of SUKMA.
“For me personally, it was lively enough. There is no issue. The only difference is that there were no fireworks.
“In Sarawak, we had fireworks. That is the only difference. Other than that, everything else is more or less the same,” he told reporters after attending the Sukan Rakyat programme organised by Kuching Division Journalists’ Association (KDJA) at Chung Hua Middle School No. 4, Jalan Haji Taha, here today.
Mordi said the opening ceremony should not become the yardstick for judging the success or atmosphere of the Games, stressing that the sporting events themselves had been running smoothly.
He also urged the public to consider the wider circumstances surrounding the Games rather than focusing solely on the scale of the opening ceremony.
“There are many other factors that need to be taken into consideration, including geopolitical and global political factors.
“So, just because the opening was less lively, according to netizens, it should not become a factor that affects the sporting spirit,” he added.
Mordi also pointed out that Selangor had deliberately adopted a more modest approach to the Games, in line with calls for moderation in the overall conduct of the event.
“Selangor has also responded to the call to be moderate, which is actually a good thing, to be moderate in the overall event, including the opening and closing ceremonies.
“What is most important is that the sporting events run smoothly,” he stated.
On April 20, the Sultan of Selangor, Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah, suggested that the 2026 SUKMA be postponed until the Middle East conflict subsides, citing the high allocation required to organise the event.
On April 27, Ministry of Youth and Sports issued a statement saying the 2026 SUKMA in Selangor will proceed as planned with cost-saving measures and prudent spending in place after the Sultan of Selangor gave his consent. — DayakDaily




