No slaughtering of pigs in Sarikei for next two months effective Jan 15

Pork belly. — DayakDaily.com file pic.// Photo: Pixabay

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


By Lian Cheng

KUCHING, Jan 17: To control the spread of African Swine Fever (ASF), there will be no slaughtering of pigs for the next two months from Jan 15 in areas under the jurisdiction of the Sarikei District Council.

Repok assemblyman Dato Sri Huang Tiong Sii said there would also be no selling of pork in the urban areas of Sarikei as the government is trying to prevent the spread of ASF in Sarawak.


“The government is taking steps in preventing the spread of the disease in Sarikei. There are two-pronged actions taken.  

“In the urban areas in Sarikei, pig slaughtering is now totally banned. While in the rural areas, farms that are found to have infected pigs, even though it may involve only one pig, will see the whole pig population of the farm culled,” Huang told DayakDaily when contacted.

He said the preventive measures of the Veterinary Department had led to the culling of many pig farms in Sarikei, including the backyard farms in longhouses.

To effectively control the spread of the disease, Sarikei Divisional Veterinary Service had also ordered the disposal of contaminated pork products and the sanitation of abattoirs and pork markets at both Sarikei and Meradong-Julau District Councils.

The abattoirs involved are the abattoir of Jalan Kwong Ming under Sarikei District Council and the abattoir at Meradong, under Meradong-Julau District Council.

The two markers that had been sanitised are Sg Nyelong Market and Double Storey Market under Meradong-Julau District Council. — DayakDaily