No directive yet to arrest those defying restricted movement order — Sibu police chief

Stanley distributing a leaflet to a motorist at Lanang Bridge.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


SIBU, March 19: Police here have yet to receive any directive to fully enforce rules and regulations stipulated in the movement control order (MCO) which was introduced following the Covid-19 outbreak.

Those who defy the order may be fined not more than RM1,000 or jailed for not more than six months or both under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (Measures within the infected local areas) Regulations 2020.

“We will not arrest anybody but will advise them to disperse and stay home during this period which ends on March 31,” Sibu district police chief ACP Stanley Jonathan Ringgit told reporters when met at the police’s 24-hour roadblock at Lanang Bridge today.

He revealed that instructions they had received from Bukit Aman so far was to inform people gathered in groups to disperse.

“For those going places unnecessarily, we will tell them not to do so but to just stay home. We will also advise people in unnecessary activities to stay home. Our role for now is to give advice only for the good of one’s health,” he added.

Meanwhile, Stanley disclosed that the roadblock was being manned via three 8-hour shifts daily.

“We are distributing leaflets on Covid-19 prevention to road users,” he said.

Among those present at the launch of the roadblock was Criminal Investigation Departmet chief, DSP Hadian Keria. — DayakDaily