Five-cornered fight in Kemena, Bersatu candidate withdraws

From left: Vanessa, John, Bernard, Rundi, and Jame.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


KUCHING, Dec 6: The N.69 Kemena constituency will see a five-cornered fight as one candidate withdrew at the last minute despite paying the deposit.

The individual who withdrew was Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (Bersatu) candidate Duke Janting. At the time of writing, no reasons were given on the basis for his withdrawal.

Incumbent Dato Sri Stephen Rundi Utom, who has served the constituency for four terms since 2001, will face John Anthony Brian from Democratic Action Party (DAP), Dr Bernard Tayim from Parti Sarawak Bersatu (PSB), Chelea Vanessa William from Parti Bumi Kenyalang (PBK), and Jame Stephen, as an Independent.


Rundi said this is a democratic process, and everyone is free to get the chance to be elected as a representative.

He also said they will soldier on to ensure they can continue fighting for more development for the Kemena constituency.

“Some of the development projects implemented in the constituency have been completed. However, some are still ongoing, including other projects that are in the pipeline. Therefore, we need continuity to carry on with this project,” he added.

Previously, Rundi won in the 11th Sarawak Election with 7,192 votes, defeating DAP candidate Leighton Manjah who managed to garner 2,324 votes.

Meanwhile, Jame was previously proposed to be a candidate under Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR). However, Pakatan Harapan (PH) component party DAP decided to field John Anthony Bryan.

Jame decided to stand as an Independent to continue serving the constituency’s people. ― DayakDaily