– by Wilfred Pilo
KUCHING, Oct 8: Work on the proposed Batu Kawa Wetlands Waterfront Park may start in March next year, announced Batu Kawah asssemblyman Datuk Dr Sim Kui Hian today.
“If the preparations are completed earlier, work (on the project) may commence earlier,” he said in a statement, following a visit to the proposed site last weekend.
Dr Sim, who is also Minister of Local Government and Housing, said a consultant had been appointed to design the project, and tender documents were also being prepared.
If everything goes according to plan, tender would be called in January next year.
“Padawan Municipal Council (MPP) will work closely with the consultant to ensure that the tender documents could be prepared as soon as possible,” said Dr Sim, adding that the project would be implemented in phases.
He revealed that the Land and Survey Department had advised the State Planning Unit (SPU) in August this year that land for the project had been approved, and this led to SPU appointing the consultant last month.
Dr Sim had proposed the project early this year, and Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Datuk Abang Johari Tun Openg gave an allocation of RM5 million as part of the expenses.
Among those who accompanied Dr Sim on the proposed site visit were Sarawak United Peoples’ Party (SUPP) Segubang sub-branch chairman Lim Ah Teck, the sub-branch’s Women head Kapitan Voon Suk Ping and MPP secretary Elizabeth Lo. — DayakDaily